Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Thanksgiving to Remember















Thanksgiving morning our neighbor was telling me that Gladys, our house helper, was asking her all about Thanksgiving. She wanted to know why America has a day of thanksgiving and Kenya doesn't. So Gail told her the history of the Indians and Pilgrims' first Thanksgiving.

While Gail was telling me this, it dawned on me that Gladys was working for Laurie today. Laurie is the single lady that was coming for dinner. So I called Laurie and asked her to invite Gladys to eat with us. There was hesitation when she asked her but then she replied in the affirmative. It was wonderful. She was fairly quiet but I think she enjoyed it and ate well.

The following day she left us this note:

Thanks so much for inviting me for a thanksgiving lunch at your house yesterday. I felt very much loved and appreciated. It was my first time to have lunch which consisted of more than 6 different kinds of food. Everything was yum!! God bless you so much.

The family of four that you see around the table are Alex, Melissa, Abby, and Andrew Hartemink. They are the family that has a link on this blog. He is on sabbatical from Duke University and teaches Biology here. Melissa teaches music and Laurie is the kindergarten teacher at my school.

This Thanksgiving was no better than the many we've had with family and friends, but it is one that we will not forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment