Saturday, October 3, 2009

"Feed my lambs." John 21:15b



Last Tuesday I had the privilege of accompanying Esther Mwangi to the local K - 8 school here in Kijabe. She used to teach there and has now established a program to feed some of the children there on Tuesdays and Fridays. We learned about this from Elisha, her husband, who is the man we hire to drive us occasionally.

When we first heard about it, we pictured a plate of food being handed to each child. I was in for a big surprise. Here are the boys and girls (separate pictures) lined up quietly and patiently waiting
to receive their food.




The food they received consisted of one kilo of beans and three kilos of maize flour. As you can see, they came prepared with a sack in which to carry it home. Only thirty-five of the 600 students at the school get this food. When I asked Esther how she decided which students should get it she explained that actually the students decide. They know which families are the poorest and need it the most.






You can tell by the expressions on the faces in the next two pictures that they are happy to receive this food. Since Tuesday, Jesus' words in John 21:15b, "Feed my lambs," keep going over and over in my head.
















After the food was given out, we visited a few classrooms where the students stood as we entered. They sat on wooden benches at double desks and there were 40 - 50 students in each classroom.

As we left, I could only think how blessed the students back home are; if only they realized it!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to cry after I read this. People are in such need! We take so much for granted here, and we should be so grateful! A real eye opener!

    Take care,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so humbling that the students, who I am sure all want food, are selfless and choose the most needy! WOW!

    ReplyDelete